Sunday, August 24, 2008

A Real Treat

I splurged.

I've been using a Tiffen circular polarizer since 1995, when my wife and I got our first 35mm camera. It's been great to have, and I've since claimed it for use with my KAP rig. But I knew it couldn't last. My wife has given me more than one subtle hint about the lack of a CP filter in the DSLR bag, and the thing is beginning to show signs of wear.

So I put in a bid on a new Hoya SuperHMC circular polarizer. It's $20 under list, so I hope I get it. I'd prefer a Heliopan, but the $130 price tag is half what I paid for my camera. It's too rich for my blood. But the Hoya has had good reviews, and it's going to be worlds better than the Tiffen I've been using so far.

But why stop when you're on a roll?

I also went to Jones Airfoil and ordered a KAP Feather, which is one of the more ingenious stabilization devices I've seen for KAP rigs. I plan to use mine on my digital rig, but I'd like to consider it for my 4x5 rig as well. They make a larger one for DSLR rigs that should be a good weight and cross-sectional match to the 4x5. I can't wait!

Sure, it's a splurge. But it's not without purpose. These two additions to my KAP bag should let me take better pictures. Less lens flare, less motion blur, it's a move in the right direction.

Tom

2 comments:

Judi FitzPatrick said...

Can't wait to see the new, improved shots when you get the new gear in place. Although, your work is amazing now!
Peace, Judi

benedict said...

Me, too! I'm pretty stoked.

The KAP Feather will require some testing and a lot of head-scratching to get it to fit into my gear bag as it is. But if it stabilizes the rig as well as I've heard, it should make more hours of late evening available.

For now I'm stuck at work, and have been for the past few weeks. One more crunch week after this one, and I can hopefully take some time off to play and take more pictures.