Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Photo Competition and Exhibition

For better or worse, I entered a black and white photography competition. Rather, I should say I entered it three times. They didn't place any restrictions on the number of entries you can submit, but each one carries with it a $15 entry fee. Three seemed like a good number.

Whether it was a conscious choice or not, the three pictures I entered do a good job of demonstrating the kinds of photography I do. One was a large format macro shot, the second was a digital ground shot, and the third was a KAP shot. The large format shot started life as a black and white negative, but the other two had to be converted from color images. It was easy for the digital ground shot, but easier said than done for the KAP shot. In the process I learned that most of my KAP images really do need to be color in order to work. A handful can be used either way, and some, by the nature of the subject, already are black and white pictures. But for the theme of the competition, my choice took some work.

And in the end, I wound up shooting myself in the foot.

To be fair, this is my first photo competition. So I don't have a lot of experience to compare with. Still, the rules were unclear on several points, and I wound up hurting my chances as a result.

The way the rules read, photographers submit non-returnable prints or slides. Submissions are then reviewed by a panel of judges. The judges select which photos should be hung in the gallery, and inform the artists. The artists then make their final prints and mat and frame them for hanging. Once the photos are hung in the gallery, the photographers and general public are invited to view them.

A photograph may win the judges' award, the people's choice, the photographer's choice, and/or the grand prize. So they're judged at least three separate times. The rules don't explicitly say how the grand prize is decided, but my guess is it is a compilation of the points from the three rounds of judging, with the highest tally taking the prize.

Here's where it gets fuzzy, though. In reading and re-reading the rules, I get the feeling the judges' award is based on the submissions, not the hanging work. I chose to print my submissions on 8.5x11 matte photo paper rather than slides since that is the medium I intend to use for my finished pieces. But the finished pieces are intended to be printed 18"x24", with the matte and frame bringing that up to roughly 24"x32". So potentially two of the rounds of judging will be done on the 18"x24" size, and the third on a much smaller size.

Kinda wish I'd submitted slides, which are projected for the judges to view. Say what you will, the size of a photograph determines, to a large extent, the emotional impact it has with the viewer. Take your favorite Ansel Adams print and print it 5"x7". Hang it on the wall next to one of his more typical prints in the 36"x48" size. Which one grabs your eye? Which one takes your breath away? Ok, I really wish I'd submitted slides.

But such is life. I honestly don't think any of my pictures stand a strong chance of winning. I've reviewed winning photos from previous years, and it's a style of photography I really don't do. I also don't think I carry the clout, as a photographer, to wow the judges and public strongly enough to make them choose a photograph outside of their comfort zone.

My intention was not to compete so much as to get my work shown. Even if one of my pictures makes it to the gallery, I'm happy. It will mean someone is getting to see it. I do a so-so job of marketing my photos online, but I do a downright terrible job of marketing them locally. This is the first in several efforts to address that.

As a side benefit, all the photos hung in the gallery are up for sale. That's in the rules, too. In previous years, almost all the artwork in the gallery sells. So it's not only a nice marketing venue, it's also an opportunity to make a sale. Can't beat it. My goof-up isn't looking so bad now.

Still, I learn from my mistakes. Next year? I'm getting slides made.

Tom

No comments: