Monday, October 6, 2008

Life is Strange

So one of my pictures hit a first page Google search.

A while back I was looking over old picture stats, trying to figure out which archive shots I should go back and print for a gallery showing in town. Lo and behold, my honu-from-above picture was no longer the most viewed picture in my Flickr stream. It was... an infrared grab shot I took over the fence to test out a filter stack.

??!

Some searching through stats showed that the bulk of the traffic to that image came from image searches on Google. (Thank you, Flickr, for storing the originating URL for incoming links!) A little more clicking indicated the search terms were "Canon A650". Yep, anyone looking for information on the A650 would run across this one oddball image.

So I tried it. I did a Google search on "Canon A650", clicked "Images", and lo and behold there it was. My neighbor's fence, Kohala in the background, and my ficus trees glowing in wonderfully infrared-lit chlorophyll heaven.

Great...

So despite all the large format photography I've done, the macro shots, the kite aerials, the big panos, the HDR, despite all that, it was a quickie test shot that finally made the big time. Life is strange. And to think I almost didn't post it. I was just excited about the IR response of the unmodified A650, and wanted to share.

Tom

1 comment:

Judi FitzPatrick said...

Isn't it great that the universe makes these things happen for us? Might not be what we expect, but is usually what we need.

You've been tagged. Please check out my blog for the details:
http://judisjems.blogspot.com/2008/10/ive-been-tagged.html

Peace, Judi