Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The View from Up There

My batteries came in. After a little uncomfortable action modifying the transmitter with a Foredom, I got the new battery pack to fit. Servos were re-centered, things were adjusted, and off I went! I've flown three times since then, and I think I'm beginning to understand a little better.

My big kite likes light wind. It also needs more work. I did a bridle adjusting session and found some of the lines out by as much as 10mm. I also found one of the keels was loosing its stitching. When I flew today at lunch, I found not only was another keel loosing stitching (on the side it continually turns toward) but the rightmost cell is also coming undone. I'm going to check every seam on the thing tonight before getting it airborne again.

The rig works GREAT. There are some limits in range of motion (I can't set things up so the camera can sweep from horizon to vertical, but I can get pretty close.) It's fairly easy to steer, though the pan direction takes some getting used to (it's modified for continuous rotation.) All in all I'm pleased as punch, and can't wait to get my kites in shape.

I'm finding, though, that I have a really good tiny kite for howling wind conditions (when you don't really want to fly a camera, anyway) and one in need of repair for whisper light conditions. But I don't have a good mid-range kite. I'm looking at the Sutton Flowform, which has a reputation as a very solid lift kite. Ah well. Not right now. With some repairs my big kite should be good for about half the flying conditions near where I live. Now I need to find some pretty places to go that's in the range of conditions I can fly!

Woohoo!

Tom

No comments: