Sunday, June 1, 2008

KAP from the Clouds

The weather really wasn't ideal for Pu`u Wa Wa, but we went anyway. It was my first time, so I really didn't know what to expect. The hike was beautiful, the people out there were super friendly, and despite the pain that came after I stopped moving, I had a blast.

I wasn't sure whether to bring the rokkaku, but at the last minute I did. I'm glad. Most of the time the Flowforms wouldn't have flown. The wind at the summit of Pu`u Wa Wa was some of the strangest I've ever had. At one point the rokkaku completely stopped flying, and just became an obstruction in a vertical updraft. The camera was hanging vertically below the kite with a few hundred feet of almost horizontal line between it and myself. It was strange. Made for sharp pictures, though!

During the flight my friend poked me in the arm and said, "Dude." I looked, and there was the rig, but there was no kite. It was inside a cloud. Shortly after, the cloud had almost obscured the rig as well. As a result a number of the pictures I got are less than stellar. But it was unique experience, and one I'm glad I didn't miss out on.

Lots of pictures, mostly personal. I really don't like posting pictures of people, especially not my kids or other peoples' kids. So not much to post to Flickr from this. Nonetheless, I had a blast and would gladly go back again.

Once my feet, knees, hips, and everything else recovers!

Tom

No comments: