Monday, November 5, 2007

Parts Beget Parts


I knew it wouldn't end there.

No, seriously, I knew it wouldn't because the baseplate I made had no provision for mounting the electronics and sensors for the thing. That was on purpose. It's a double-decker design, and the electronics are supposed to go on top. So I'm designing a new plate to hold the MPU (for the moment a Pololu Robotics Orangutan controller) and provide mounting points for the 6DOF IMU and any sensors that are likely to be used during prototyping. I really don't know what those sensors might be, so I'm sticking a bunch of tapped and clear holes on the outer edge to make life easier. One of the pieces of equipment that's to be bolted down is a combination 5V and 3.3V regulator, so the plate is also designed to act like a heat sink.

And I know this isn't the end of it, either. The Orangutan is temporary, and will likely be replaced as more systems are added. But that's ok. The baseplate was about a two hour job running at about 50% the speed I intended, and this one should be considerably shorter.

In addition to the plate I'll need to make three Delrin standoffs between the Orangutan and the plate, as well as either four more of the black spar blocks or a central pillar. (I'm aiming for the central pillar... weighs less.)

In any case, I'm thoroughly enjoying myself. It's great to be designing and making stuff in the shop again. Aaaaaaahhhh...

Tom

No comments: