Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Sometimes You Feel More Like a Dork

But the feeling will pass...

I set up to modify my pan servo, this time carefully reading the docs that came with my BBKK. I chose to use a new servo, one that's 20g lighter than my current pan servo. I read the docs carefully! Use the 1" #4-40 flathead screw... flathead screw... there's no flathead screw in here! So I pulled one out of my stock drawers. Now use a #6 drill to open up the hole in the... #6? That won't clear a flathead #4 screw! I'll use a drill big enough. Don't go deeper than 0.250", ok... Drill drill THUNK...

Yeah, I drilled straight through the gear and knocked the splined shaft right off. One servo down. Looking back through the bag of parts I found a #4-40 pan head screw, which would easily go down a hole drilled with a #6 drill. >sigh< Sometimes it doesn't help to know all the technical names for various screw heads. (For what it's worth, a pan head screw is flattish, but it's flattish both on top and on bottom, whereas a flat head screw is flat on top and tapered at an 82 degree angle on bottom.)

With the proper screw and drill in hand, I moved the job over to the lathe where I have an indicator on the drilling tailstock. I shallowed up and went for an 0.140" depth. This sunk the screw and still left plenty of meat on the splined shaft. With everything back in place I re-balanced the servo, re-assembled my rig, and now have a properly trimmed out pan axis.

But I'm down a servo...

No matter, the nearest hobby shop has gear sets for the busted servo (an S3003), so I can get it back up and running for less than ten dollars.

In the meanwhile, 3000m of kite string showed up at the post office, so I need to get busy making winders. Should make for a fun weekend!

Tom

No comments: