Monday, November 5, 2007

That'll Stop Ya

I've been dodging a cold for weeks, but it looks like it finally caught up with me. So no electronics mounting plate for me today. I need to do some re-design on the plate to accommodate larger bolts, so the time will likely be put to good use. But it's still discouraging to be so close, and have to wait another day.

I did get some good news, though: The baseplate was put into service tonight, and my friend's quadracopter flew with a nice, steady hover at 38% throttle. So it's got power to spare, and the baseplate helped make the whole structure very rigid and controllable. It worked! So life's not all bad.

Also, my other friend started work on my 6' rokkaku kite today. She's extremely fast (and good!) with a sewing machine, but this is a new material, a new thread, and her first time making a kite. So I really don't know how things will work out. My job is comparatively simple: Cut spars to length, make some Delrin end-caps for them, and make a bridle. I'm really really looking forward to flying it once we're both done. I had an abortive KAP session in Waipi`o Valley a few weeks ago that I'd really love to get back to with the rokkaku. Its higher line angle should make for a completely different experience. Can't wait!

Now I just need to get well...

Tom

No comments: