Monday, March 10, 2008

Nostalgia for the Less-Strange Google

Once upon a time I had a computer in my house that I used as a web server. I had an address through Dyndns, Google regularly swept my machine, and life was good. Then I installed a new OS, my Dyndns name expired, someone in California took it (aaaah, the wonders of traceroute and DNS), and I got very cross indeed.

So now I have a new computer in my house, it's running Gentoo again, I now have my own domain, and things are moving toward being good again.

Except for some strange reason Google won't sweep the thing any more. The reason? Well, obviously because my URL changed, but Google said the new one isn't being cross-referenced from anywhere else on the web. Fair 'nuff. I updated my URL on a couple of profiles online, got things pointing in the right direction, and... No dice.

What's odd is I typed in the name of one of my Flickr photos to see how things were coming out, and my blog wound up first in the list! So just to get Google in motion, this entry in my blog is strictly for advertising (which in my book is lame):

Flickr Gallery

Imagekind Print Gallery
My Web Server

There ya go, Google. Index away. (And may I roast for doing this... Sheesh, back in the day you could just type in a URL and it would add it to the database for the spiders to hit.)

Yeah... nostalgic for how it used to be all of eight years ago. Now that's generation gapping for ya.

Tom

No comments: