Thursday, April 3, 2008

Into the Thick

One of the guys at work, a fellow photographer, is setting up a trip to visit the volcanically active side of the island. Stops he's got planned include: Hilo, to see the Merrie Monarch Festival Parade (YAAAAY!), Halema`uma`u crater to view the mile-high gas, ash, and steam plume billowing out of the crater, and a hike out to the active lava flows on the Kalapana side. It's open to any and all, including kids. I'm planning to go.

But what gear to bring, and what kind of photography to anticipate? THAT is the tough question. I'd like to bring KAP, PAP (my 16' pole), and 4x5 gear at the very least. But can I also pack DSLR gear and not be over-stretching myself? Last time I tried something that involved I compromised my ability to move around. And considering my car doesn't lock, if I can't carry it I really can't bring it. At least as far as camera gear goes.

4x5 shots I'd like to get:

  1. Kilauea and Halema`uma`u craters from Volcano House or Steaming Bluffs (which is about as close as you can get right now). 4x5, TMax 100, Wratten #25, circular polarizer, split ND.
  2. Kalapana close-up lava shot (this really needs to be color, and I don't have any color 4x5 film!)
  3. Any and all rainforest action at Volcano NP.

KAP shots I'd like to get:

Strictly speaking, kites are not allowed inside the park. But I'm planning to bring the gear anyway, bring a portfolio of KAP shots I've done, and ask the rangers who are present at the viewing area. If they say yes, I'm flying. If not, no sweat. I can understand their reservations.

  1. Steaming Bluffs / Sulfur Banks (looking back at the cliffsides)
  2. Volcano House, preferably with the kite hanging out over the crater edge, looking back at the cliffside
  3. Jaeger Museum and Volcanoes Observatory, from as close as I can get
  4. Kilauea and Halema`uma`u Crater
  5. I'd love to do a fishbowl AuRiCo pano from the Kilauea crater floor, but my guess is that's strictly forbidden at the moment.
  6. The entire walk from the parking area on the Kalapana side to the lava viewing area, done as an AuRiCo series
  7. Lava at sunset on the Kalapana side
Now whether I'll get to exercise my madness to the full extent remains to be seen, and also depends on whether the 1.31b PIC for the AuRiCo arrives tomorrow. If not, it'll all have to be manual radio operation.

Hoping for some good pictures!!

Tom

No comments: