Sunday, April 27, 2008

Work in Progress

Items #3, #4, and #7 are done, but I haven't had a chance to fly the camera since making the changes. Unfortunately I'm going off-island for a week, and won't have a chance to test it until I get back. C'est la vie.

The trade winds picked back up, so I got a good chance to test the new suspension. It's gust-prone, but any lightweight camera with a big cross-section would be. I did some tests, and illustrated the need of some sort of weathervane on the rig. I'm thinking a KAP Feather is likely my best bet. I can't afford one right now, so that will have to wait.

I probably won't have a chance to chrono the lens shutter or do a resolution test until I get back. Both of these require a semi-elaborate setup in the lab, and I'm simply not set up for it right now. The chrono will also require some development with an Orangutan since I don't have a shutter chrono built out at the moment. But it should be a pretty straightforward project.

Re-designing the pivots and adding the second set of holes on the camera box for vertical shots will have to wait. For the moment I'll add some lock washers to each axis to facilitate brakes, and verticals will just come later.

But for the moment I think I have a massive improvement on my earlier camera, and just need a photogenic subject, good solid winds, and a break from the incessant vog that's been clouding up the landscape.

Tom

No comments: