Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A Sale and A Change

I made my first sale!! I'm stoked! It was the honu picture. So I opened my browser, went to the printer I spent so many hours loading my pictures into, and...

They changed their shipping policies so they only ship FedEx. $30 to ship a $10 print. USPS charges $4.60 to ship that same print. ARGH!!!

I wound up getting the print made at Mpix instead. Which, I think, turns out to be a good thing, even though it meant massive changes to my Etsy listings.

For starters, Mpix uses laser photo printers. They don't lay down toner or dyes or jets of pigment, they actually use lasers to expose photographic paper. So the media is a lot closer to what I'm used to. The color paper is a Kodak color print paper, and their B&W prints are done on an Ilford paper. (I've been a big fan of Ilford papers since 1995!)

Another advantage is that they use the USPS to ship, and lo and behold their shipping cost, Priority Mail, mind you, is $4.90. GREAT! This wins them over with me more than anything else.

The Honu print is coming here before I ship it out because I need to see what the print quality is like, and how well they do with color. But in the meanwhile I re-did all my listings, re-cropped and re-sized all my images, and got everything re-cranked for printing through Mpix. I'm looking forward to seeing that turtle!

Tom

No comments: