Thursday, April 10, 2008

Weekend Plans

I went through the 4x5 shots from Halema`uma`u and Kalapana. No dice. One from Halema`uma`u was a dead loss. Massively under-exposed. The other two had so much difference between sky and ground they were essentially un-printable.

But!

The wind, which had gone all wonky earlier in the week, seems to have settled down again to a good pattern of tradewinds. That means clean winds blowing in from the back and out across the lava at Kalapana. So if things stay steady we're all heading out on Saturday to see the lava flow.

Plans this time:

4x5 - Red filter to bump contrast, and a 2.0 split-ND filter between sky and ground to balance things out more. I need to get the whole scene within eight stops or the printing really can't catch everything. I know B&W film can see ten stops of dynamic range, but my scanner can't. I think I can get some good shots of the lava flows, especially given the long exposures I did the last time I was out. I plan to shoot a range of shutter speeds, adjusting the aperture to compensate.

KAP - I have standing permission to fly from Scott with the County Civil Defense. I want to arrive early enough in the day to get a kite up, fly my rig under radio, and take a chip-worth of shots. (Sorry, no AuRiCo this time unless I fill up one chip and swap to a second.) By golly I want some airborne pictures over the lava flows!

I really really hope this goes a long way toward proving to the NP rangers that I can safely operate my gear around other people, and that the risk of a downed rig is minimal. (You can tell I want permission to fly in Volcanoes National Park...)

I'm excited! I've got some time in the morning since we can't head out until 1pm Saturday, so I might be able to take in a beach, too. Maybe replicate the stained glass water shot with better altitude this time? Who knows. In any case I'm looking forward to it.

Another photo session I need to plan is a rocky beach 4x5 morning. I'd like to start before dawn so I can get set up for a milky water long-exposure shot. Probably mix 4x5 and digital, and run two tripods. I just need to pick a good beach that's not locked at 4am.

Ok, I give. I really am nuts. The great thing is, as far as obsessions go this one's at least marginally socially acceptable. Not as acceptable as football, but enough people tote cameras around I can almost pass for normal. Sort of.

Tom

No comments: