Monday, May 5, 2008

A Switch of Galleries

I'm coming to the conclusion that Etsy really isn't the right place to sell photographs. I don't think I'm going to pull things, but I do think it's an up-hill battle to get photography sold there. After reading a post where someone referred to someone selling products on Etsy that had been made on Zazzle, I took a look at Zazzle.

And...

Well...

That's actually really cool! And it answered some other questions I was having, like how do I get stuff printed on mugs and post cards? (Hey, I really am not too proud to put my pictures on mugs... I drink coffee.)

So I set up a Zazzle gallery. And lo and behold, once you upload a picture for print, the user can pick their own options, up to and including their choice in mat, frame, glass, media, etc. Cripes, they can take a single image and go from a $25 print up to a $500 monstrosity that will come in a semi. It's neat! And like Imagekind and Etsy, it lets you dial in your own numbers.

I started with four mugs, some mouse pads (soon to add more) and a bunch of aerial and ground prints. I'm going to poke around through my archives and see what other pictures lend themselves to the aspect ratio required for mugs, and post some more mouse pads tonight. They also do post cards, calendars, and even custom stamps! So I'm going to play up a storm, put some other product lines together, and see what I come up with.

I don't know if it'll result in anything really earth-shattering. I somehow doubt it. But I do think the Zazzle customer crowd is a little more geared toward shopping for photographic stuff.

It's also the first time I think I'm actually going to be comfortable pointing friends and family toward my stuff. Imagekind and Etsy really didn't lend themselves well to that. But this just might.

Time will tell...

Tom

No comments: