Saturday, May 3, 2008

A Weekend, A New Camera, and Another New Camera

This weekend is the World Wide KAP Weekend 2008! If you have a kite and a camera, join in! For more details, check out the KAP Discussion Forums. Of course everyone's welcome to do KAP anywhere, any time, no matter the occasion. But since KAP really is a worldwide activity, and since it's often hard for KAPers to get together to do kite aerial photography, this is a way for everyone, no matter where they are in the world, to join in a sense of togetherness, even if there isn't another KAPer for four thousand miles.

I was on an airplane most of the first day of the WWKW 2008, and didn't get to fly. But I plan to head out tomorrow with my digital KAP rig as well as my new KAP 4x5 camera and join in! It'll be a wonderful way to test out the new camera, and it's also a good way to say goodbye to my trusty Nikon Coolpix 5600 that has been the workhorse of my KAP experience thus far. Because...

My wife very kindly got me a Canon A650IS camera today. It's mailing out on Monday, and should be here by next weekend. This is the camera I've been looking at for so long, and is far better suited to doing KAP than the Nikon was. I'll report on it once it arrives and I have a chance to play with it.

Meanwhile, the most wonderful thing happened regarding the 5600: My son, who has accompanied me on the bulk of my KAP outings, has asked for a KAP rig of his own. Yaaaay! So I'm going to take the Nikon and build out a rig for him to use. Probably AutoKAP at first, but eventually I think he'd get a big kick out of a radio rig.

So I'm looking forward to the rest of the weekend, and to next week! Should be fun!

Tom

P.S. Seriously! Go fly a kite. And keep it soaring. Up through the atmosphere, up where the air is clear. And while you're up there, take a picture!

No comments: