Thursday, January 24, 2008

Privacy to Tic

I don't think I've mentioned it here, but I have TS. It's not that I'm shy about it. It's just not something I spend my days pondering, so when I find time to jot something down it's not at the fore. Today it is.

I tried to fly kites at lunch, but the gusts were really too high for the rokkaku. So I reached into my back for my Flowform 16 and... Oh drat. I left it at home. I tried flying the 8 with 15' of fuzzy tail on it to steer me through the gusts, but it wasn't really what I was after. Besides, I finally figured out how to photograph this remarkable weathered building with a rusted tin roof, and the 8 just wasn't providing enough lift to put a camera on the line. So I packed up my gear and actually went to eat something. (What an odd occupation to have at lunch time!)

And that's when the tics started. No real surprise. I tend to suppress them until I have a private moment, and then they happen with a vengeance. I work in an office, so I actually have a fair number of private moments during the day. Besides, this time I was standing in the middle of a field, with no one for a hundred yards! You don't get much more private than that.

So I went to lunch anyway, ticcing the whole time.

For the most part people really don't notice, or at least they don't comment. Most of my motor tics are pretty subtle. For example, how many people can tell if someone's abdominal muscles are constantly contracting over and over and over? If they're wearing a shirt (and I do), chances are a bystander wouldn't even notice.

But while I was ordering I wound up with my full-blown shoulder/arm/neck/face/eyes dystonic tic, and couldn't shake the thing for a number of seconds. And then it happened again. And again. And again.

The folks at the place where I was getting food are too nice to comment, and too friendly to do anything that would hurt my feelings. But it wasn't exactly subtle, and for the first time in a long time I really just wanted a private place to go off and tic without a bunch of people watching. Full-body dystonics can make you look like you're a crazy person. To someone who's not used to them, they can look scary. Seeing that look in someone's eyes as they stare at you just makes me sad. And tired. I just wanted to go off somewhere by myself and tic. Instead I sat down and ate my lunch.

It all stopped a while later, and now I'm back to the normal running-theme tics: bunny-nose, abdominals, snuffing, etc. The ones no one sees, or don't notice if they do.

Tomorrow I'm packing my Flowform 16. If the weather holds I might get a chance to photograph that building, and maybe this time I can tic in private.


Tom

5 comments:

~nv said...

Tom, have you ever tried flying a camera on a kite? Just wondering. My hubby did this once and got some... interesting... pictures. He tells me it was difficult to get the kite up in the air!

Also, in response to your email about peridot flavouring: I do still write. I changed blogging addresses, though, a ways back. The new address is psychomuse.com; the blog is right on the home page.

~nv

benedict said...

Absolutely, I've flown cameras on kites. And your hubby is right, it can be a challenge flying the kite with a camera slung on it. The dynamics completely change. But there are lots of resources available if he's still interested in doing kite aerial photography. I'd be happy to share.

~nv said...

So he said. I've never successfully flown ANY kite myself. Tried a boomerang a few times though. Those are cool. Except when your perception of their return is a tad off and they catch you in the shin.

What are a couple resources you're aware of for kite aerials?

benedict said...

I posted the resources as a blog entry. It should be enough to get going with.

As for flying a kite successfully, if you're after instant gratification and you have decent wind to play with, a Flowform 16 and 15' of fuzzy tail on 500' of #100 line is a tough combination to beat. It packs down small enough to fit inside a small backpack with room to spare, and in steady wind it'll practically nail itself to the sky.

~nv said...

Thank you. I've forwarded the info onto Dale. Found the kite on brooxes, too, even before I read the post. Had no idea kites were so diverse; the kind you've recommended is what's called a "parafoil" and there are so many others, too!! I personally might start with one of those Deltas, just to toy with it and see what it's like to fly. Don't be surprised if you hear about a Flowform soon afterward though.

Now for Spring! I've got a nice cup of ti kuan yin myself, but am looking forward to enjoying our back yard and hiking up the mountain once again. WithOUT the windburn.

Off to look at your pictures, I saw you'd uploaded some.

~nv