Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Getting Lighter


The quest for a lighter KAP rig continues. I picked up a new gear set for the trashed S3003 servo from the local hobby shop, along with a 6V 2/3 AAA NiMH battery pack. The battery change alone shaves almost 60g off the rig. I also picked up some SG50 micro servos to use as shutter servos, which should knock another 30g off. That should bump my rig weight down from 700g to 610g, and should help the slight side-to-side imbalance I have at the moment. I hope to have the new hardware mounted in time for the weekend.

I also found the SG90 servo, a 9g mini-servo with pretty impressive torque numbers, might let me install a pan gear set from http://www.brooxes.com and potentially wind up with more available torque, close to the same weight as my existing setup, change the pan axis over to a solid steel bolt (which, after the pan servo mod fiasco would make me very very happy) and set my rig up for adding a KAPFeather from http://www.jonesairfoils.com when time and shop cash allows.

So my rig continues to evolve, I continue to shave weight, and maybe just maybe I'll be able to fly in Waipio Valley in the near future.

Tom

No comments: