Thursday, December 6, 2007

Slowing Down

I ran the idea of the SG90 servo by Brooks, and he came up with two reasons not to do it. First, the BBGG is designed for a standard servo frame, so getting the gears to work with a mini or micro servo will be tough at best and impossible at worst. Also, he's not convinced the compromise is worth the savings in weight. So I'm either going to swap to an S3003 and the BBGG (+45g for the BBGG, -23g for the S3003, for a net gain of about 20g) or I'm going to quit messing around with my pan axis and leave it alone for good.

The shutter servo still looks like a win. I need to make a new mounting bracket for it, but it should just drop right in. Only problem is I'm sick at the moment, so I'm not making parts in the shop. Typing is about all I'm good for.

We're also being hit with some pretty nasty weather. I was supposed to go to the summit today, but we got weathered out. Just as well, considering I'm sick. I just hope I'm well for the weekend so I can try the newer, lighter KAP rig. But for now conditions are perfect to brew up a pot of tea, snuggle down in a nice warm quilt, curl up with a good book, and...

Hack my lungs out.

Such is life. Egads I hope I get well by Saturday. It's been two weeks without a decent flight.

Tom

No comments: