Sunday, December 9, 2007

Last Flight Out

We're heading to the mainland in a week and a half. I'm bringing KAP gear, but after a couple of horror stories I'm not planning to bring it on the plane. So I'm mailing it to my family. But that means at least a week of transit, so the box has to go in the mail no later than Tuesday.

Considering the changes I've made in my rig in the past week, I wasn't comfortable shipping it until I had a chance to fly it at least once. With the weather pounding us over the last few days, I really wasn't sure it was going to happen. So Saturday morning I put my non-functional rig in my car to drive down to Kona so I could get a servo extension cable and actually plug in my shutter servo. The model shop was open, the cable was in stock, so after a couple of other errands, I went to the park.

Yet again I flew in the face of a storm. But this time, everything went right. I finally had a good KAP flight! It's been weeks! The changes to my rig worked beautifully, I got great stability, and the new shutter servo, though it jitters like crazy on the 6.0V battery, worked like a champ. The current capacity of the battery is good, and let me fly for well over an hour without even slowing down. I also got around to making a new charger cable for the NiMH battery packs, so this also heralds the end of the alligator-clip-on-bare-wire charging method. I'm stoked.

Sunday was a wash as we prepared for the trip. Lots of house cleaning, lots of last minute gotchas. I disassembled the rig this morning and boxed it up. I wound up using most of my stash of bubble wrap, but I'll re-use it for the return trip, so it's all good. I hope everything arrives ok!

Can't wait to get on the plane and follow my gear to the mainland.

Tom

No comments: